May 28, 2012, 12:15 PM EST
If you attend a U.S. Women’s National Team match this year, it’s likely you’ll see Alex Morgan score a goal. Or, like last night at PPL Park, a couple.
Those keeping score at home will know that Morgan’s duo against China marked the 23rd and 24th goals of her budding international career.
The young starlet has been enjoying a supremely productive 2012. She’s tallied her last 14 goals in this calendar year alone. Oh, and they’ve all come in just 12 appearances.
More stats? More stats.
- She has now scored 13 of the USWNT’s last 28 goals.
- This was her sixth multi-goal game of her career. It was also the fourth game of the year in which she’s bagged a brace.
- She has scored or assisted more than one-third (37%) of the U.S.’s total goals in 2012.
- She’s now tied in 17th place on the USWNT all-time goals list alongside Amy Rodriguez and Natasha Kai.
- She has scored the USWNT’s first goal in six of the team’s last nine matches.
And here’s the most impressive statistic yet. If Morgan continues on this pace, she’ll have the third most prolific year of any USWNT striker in the program’s history.
The U.S. could well play another 12 games, at least according to this theoretical (and very unofficial) list of remaining fixtures:
June 16-18: A three-team tournament in Sweden (two games); June 30: final pre-Olympic domestic friendly at Rio Tinto Stadium (one game); July 25-TBD: Olympics (five games, assuming they reach the final); TBD: Post-Olympic Celebration tour (three games, if not more)
With her current goal rate in mind, she is projected to finish the year on 28 goals. She’ll then become just the fifth U.S. player to score at least 20 goals in one year, and the first since Abby Wambach did it in 2007.
Current single-season highs:
Akers – 1991 – 39 goals
Wambach – 2004 – 31 goals
Milbrett – 1999 – 21 goals
Wambach – 2007– 20 goals
Lilly – 1999 – 20 goals
Hamm – 1998 – 20 goals
Morgan’s name should appear on that list by year’s end. Where exactly? She has a knack for exceeding expectations, so there’s no telling.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:11 PM EST
Germany end 2014 on top, as the USMNT sit steady inside the top 30.
Dec 18, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Balotelli will now miss Liverpool’s match against Arsenal this weekend.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Rogers worries about anti-gay laws in Russia, Qatar during World Cup tournaments.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:46 AM EST
Scunthorpe win 14-13 on penalty kicks… really?
Dec 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Klinsmann’s son make six saves, but gets second-yellow as youth side beat Germany.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
USMNT attacker heading back to MLS.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 AM EST
Vegas, baby! New soccer stadium gets seal of approval from city council… all they need know is an MLS expansion franchise.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EST
Reus has been speeding around in his Aston Martin without a license. Gets biggest motoring fine in German history.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:54 AM EST
Dig into all the latest gossip, right here.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:13 PM EST
Could Cole be returning to the Premier League?
Dec 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
Bad jokes make Christmas.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Dec 17, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
Real Madrid cruised past Azul 4-0 and will be the heavy favorites come Saturday.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:01 PM EST
Huge coup for the Dynamo, if they can pull it off.
Dec 17, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
Quick healer, Mr. Aguero.
Dec 17, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
China making a big, big play into soccer.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:09 PM EST
Three Premier League sides make the semi-final along with League One’s Sheffield United.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
Another strong showing from Spurs.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:39 PM EST
Liverpool shook off their poor form to beat Bournemouth and qualify for the League Cup semi-final.
Dec 17, 2014, 3:42 PM EST
Three new deals handed out, all deserved.
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 0
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 0
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 0
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1
- Report: Houston Dynamo the front-runner to land Erick ‘Cubo’ Torres 3
- Men in Blazers podcast: Man United’s romp, Arsenal’s form and more 0