May 29, 2012, 9:16 AM EDT
Talk about a bad day getting worse.
On Saturday, debuting German international Marc-André ter Stegen allowed five goals to Switzerland in a 5-3 loss. On Tuesday, German coach Joachim Low released him.
Low announced his final 23-man roster Tuesday for the 2012 European Championship, which begins June 8. Also among the four cuts was 18-year-old Julian Draxler, who made his senior international debut in Saturday’s loss, as well.
His Germany’s final 23-man assembly. There’s ample star power in there, including about five with player of the tournament potential:
Goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, midfielders Mesut Ozil, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Mario Goetze and forwards Lukas Podolski and Mario Gomez. You could probably even toss midfielder Toni Kroos and versatile attacker Thomas Muller on that list, too.
The complete roster:
Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Tim Wiese (Werder Bremen), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover);
Defenders: Jerome Boateng, Holger Badstuber, Philipp Lahm (all Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Howedes (Schalke), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund);
Midfielders: Mesut Ozil, Sami Khedira (both Real Madrid), Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, Bastian Schweinsteiger (all Bayern Munich), Marco Reus (Borussia Monchengladbach), Mario Goetze, Ilkay Gundogan (Borussia Dortmund), Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Andre Schuerrle (Bayer Leverkusen).
Forwards: Lukas Podolski (Cologne), Mario Gomez (Bayern Munich) Miroslav Klose (Lazio).
ProSoccerTalk is doing its best to keep you up to date on what’s going on in Poland and Ukraine. Check out the site’s Euro 2012 page and look at the site’s previews, predictions, and coverage of all the events defining UEFA’s championship.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public