May 29, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
(Parts II and III are on deck …so check back)
19. Toronto FC – The streak is over (whew!) thanks to Danny Koevermans late strike in a 1-0 win over similarly afflicted Philadelphia. Aron Winter’s club still has more issues than National Geographic, but the pressure must feel a smidge less oppressive around BMO, at least.
18. Philadelphia Union – Landing as the slump-buster at Toronto certainly won’t help coach Peter Nowak sell any of his recent personnel moves to fans. His Union has lost four of its last five, and they aren’t far from nudging Toronto off that bottom spot.
17. FC Dallas – The club just went through its most fruitless May over 17 seasons. Brek Shea has one more match on his suspension before he can get back on the field to help shake things loose.
16. Los Angeles Galaxy – A weekend loss down in Houston may have been predictable, given the beleaguered form and the busy schedule. But what was up with last Wednesday, when Bruce Arena’s men failed to hold a two-goal lead at home? San Jose came back to grab all the points in a 3-2 door-slammer, one that pretty much symbolizes a season that’s gone wrong in about every way possible for the fallen champs.
15. Portland Timbers – Any momentum gained in last week’s win was washed away in the rainy deluge of a 1-1 draw at Jeld-Wen with rival Vancouver. And seriously, guys, losing a lead at home? Again?
14. Montréal Impact – The Impact had a man advantage but still conceded a late game-winner to Colorado outside Denver. Perhaps a little more experience will be just what the doc ordered; Italian goal-getter Marco Di Vaio (pictured) was just added as the expansion club’s first Designated Player.
13. New England Revolution – The Revs came close to rallying for a point against D.C. United, but they just cannot defend set plays. It’s an increasingly costly bugaboo in Jay Heaps’ first season as a head coach.
- Mike Magee’s arrival can only help in Chicago 0
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 10
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land (10)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy