May 29, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
12. Chivas USA –This team is a big ol’ tie waiting to happen lately, with three draws in their last four chances to get a draw. Last week saw the past and present striking, as Juan Pablo Angel (pictured) strike against his old team in a 1-1 draw at New York, then saw new man Juan Agudelo notch his first for the club in a less commendable 1-1 draw at home against Seattle.
11. Colorado Rapids – Oscar Pareja’s side rallied valiantly to grab the points at home against Montreal, but consistency has been frustratingly elusive for the first-year head coach.
10. Chicago Fire – Speaking of consistency, more than a third of the way through the season, Frank Yallop’s side is still looking to post back-to-back wins. Chris Rolfe may be back this week, and the former U.S. international can only help.
9. Columbus Crew – A big jump this week (from No. 15) is the reward for a great week, including two wins the side can truly build on. Emelio Renteria went on a tear and Eddie Gaven stacked more bricks onto his solid season as the men in yellow took all the points out of Seattle and then added a win at home against Chicago. The Crew is unbeaten in five.
8. Vancouver Whitecaps – It’s a classic good news-bad news bit as the Whitecaps pulled a 1-1 tie out of a rainy evening in Portland. Praiseworthy, yes, although that did leave Martin Rennie’s side winless over its last three. Celebrated rookie Darren Mattocks found his first MLS goal.
7. Seattle Sounders – A 1-1 draw on the road at Chivas USA helped salvage something from an otherwise forgettable week, but there’s no hiding the team’s dreadful inability to get results lately at home. Sigi Schmid’s men have lost two in a row at CenturyLink (shut out in both); the latest stinker was a 2-0 setback to Columbus.
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 4
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 5