May 29, 2012, 7:41 AM EDT
Whatever happens for the United States on Wednesday against the mighty Brazilians, it will happen without the Fulham star, who is being cautious with groin injury.
Dempsey participated in the team’s open practice Monday (attended by more than 2,000 at the University of Maryland), but was limited in his movement. Afterward, he admitting that a start hardly looked promising.
No, I couldn’t [start],” he said. “I don’t think I’d be able to go a complete 90 minutes and I don’t think you should put yourself in the position to take up a spot of a guy who has more fitness than you. But I’m going to continue to work hard and try to get my fitness up and if I do get into the game, I want to make an impact.”
Dempsey hasn’t played since May 6, Fulham’s next-to-last match.
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago