May 31, 2012, 8:27 AM EDT
I got myself in just a little hot water out of the Twitter faucet last night. Nothing major; let’s call it just ankle deep. Still, I should probably clarify – because I have a blog and can do that.
What I said:
I know this is sacrilege, but here goes … the goalkeeping opposite Tim Howard’s end has been better tonight. There, I said it #USMNT
A few people took that to mean that Howard was somehow at fault at FedEx in Wednesday’s 4-1 loss. Not at all. He wasn’t deficient with any of the foursome of Brazilian blasts. If we’re picking nits here, I would like to have seen Howard come up with something special on one of the last two goals. He guessed on Marcelo’s 52nd minute screamer from close range and then couldn’t turn away Alexandre Pato’s 87th minute, uncontested blast.
Neither represented a “bad” moment. The U.S. defense and unreliable midfield pressure against high-quality attackers was at the core of flimsiness, of giving up four at home, not any shaky backstopping.
All I meant was that debuting goalkeeper Rafael, at the other end, had a wonderful night. He pulled a “Tim Howard” against Tim Howard’s side.
Rafael’s double save in the 77th minute (foiling efforts from Herculez Gomez and Terrence Boyd) was something special. Ditto for the Brazilian goalkeeper’s 85th minute save on a Michael Bradley header.
But don’t take my word for it … see for yourself. Here are the match highlights.
- Mike Magee’s arrival can only help in Chicago 0
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 10
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land (10)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy