Young U.S. striker Terrence Boyd appears bound for Vienna

May 31, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT

Borussia Dortmund II v Borussia Moenchengladbach II - Regionalliga West Getty Images

Any German I know was gained while watching Hogan’s Heroes reruns as a kid. And I suppose I picked up enough scraps of Deutsch during the 2006 World Cup to eat properly over six weeks.

Still, my German is thin as watery wedding soup. But if I’m not mistaken, I do believe this piece says Terrence Boyd is one signature away from a move to Rapid Vienna.

The potential change first game to U.S. attention about a week ago in this piece.

The Austrian Football Bundesliga is not a top European association. Not even close. So, bad move for Boyd?

Not necessarily, especially considering this looks like a loan. Boyd appeared just once last year for German champions Borussia Dortmund (for the first team, that is). And even though the 21-year-old U.S. international has a bright future, playing time would probably be sparse again over the 2012-13 season.

Austria’s league isn’t great, but it’s probably a step above the competition Boyd gets in Dortmund reserve matches. Plus, the stakes are greater as Rapid battles for a top-tier title in the country.

1. ndnut - May 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Where does it indicate that it is a loan? I’m still working out my translation, but I haven’t seen any indication that this is a loan.

• sonnengeflecht - May 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM

“Entgegen zunächst veröffentlichten Medienberichten will der amtierende deutsche Meister den Stürmer, dessen Vertrag im kommenden Sommer ausläuft, nicht verleihen sondern direkt verkaufen – zumindest für eine sechsstellige Summe.”

Contrary to formerly published media reports, the german champion does not want to loan, but to sell the striker, whose contract is running out next summer, directly – at least for a six-digit sum.

• Steve Davis - May 31, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Told you my German was kaput. (That’s not correct either … just goofing around). Early reports, as mentioned, said loan.

2. sonnengeflecht - May 31, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Always happy to help ;)

3. chadmoon1 - May 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Is Rapid Vienna in any European competitions? If so, the move would be good. If not, then I think that a move to a promoted team to the Bundesliga or even a top Bund2 team (1860 Munich anyone??) would be better move.

• sonnengeflecht - May 31, 2012 at 1:09 PM

They are in the Euro League quailifiying, where they knocked Aston Villa out in 2009 and 2010.

4. smgraff4 - May 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Rapid Vienna were in first place in the Austrian Bundesliga and lost their best forward to DC United. They also lost one of their playmakers to DC United. (These guys are DC’s two DPs.) However, because Boyd has been capped by the full national team, it won’t be easy for DC to poach him once he becomes good there.

• mikeevergreen - May 31, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I’d rather the Fire poach him – Dominic Oduro blows too many chances.

5. Ramiro - Jun 1, 2012 at 12:14 AM

The Austrian Bundesliga is better than the German 3.Bundesliga, where Terrence Boyd and B. Dortmund II would play in. However, I agree that Boyd would see less playing time with Rapid Vienna than he would with B. Dortmund II. In my opinion this would not be a good move for Boyd. I think he should go to a team where (a) he will be a starter, and (b) most competitive league. And if that team happens to be B. Dortmund II, then so be it. Sometimes the best move is no move.

6. herwig3732 - Jun 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

In my opinion this would be a great move. Even if the Austrian Bundesliga is not the best league, Rapid Vienna has an amazing crowd. He would have the chance to play in the European League, and I don’t think that he would play less in Vienna. After the transfer of Jelavic to the Glasgow Rangers two years ago, this team is lacking an robust striker. I guess he would have a great chance to be in the starting line-up in most of the games. And in the last couple of years more and more players of the Austrian Bundesliga moved to the German Bundesliga, so after two good seasons in Vienna he would have good chances to move to an top team, like e.g. Nikica Jelavic did with his move from Vienna to Glasgow (and later to Everton).

Breaking down Di Maria, Balotelli deals