Jun 1, 2012, 10:22 AM EDT
How important is the Bayern Munich contingent to Germany’s upcoming Euro 2012 fortunes?
Last weekend, minus the talented men from the German giants, the 2012 Champions League runner-up, Joachim Low’s team suffered a 5-3 loss to Switzerland. Just a meaningless friendly, of course, but conceding five to a middling side is going to leave a bruise. And it was a little unbecoming for a team slotted just behind Spain as pre-tournament favorites.
Thursday, with more than half of the lineup coming from Bayern Munich, the Germans were on top of things once again, comfortably managing a 2-0 result against Israel in its final pre-tourney tune-up.
The seven important players from Bayern starting Thursday in Leipzig: goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, defenders Holger Badstuber, Jerome Boateng and Philipp Lahm, midfielders Toni Kroos and Thomas Muller and striker Mario Gomez.
The Bayern Munich men had been held out last weekend, getting extra rest after their extended Champions League campaign.
ProSoccerTalk is doing its best to keep you up to date on what’s going on in Poland and Ukraine. Check out the site’s Euro 2012 page and look at the site’s previews, predictions, and coverage of all the events defining UEFA’s championship.
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago