Jun 1, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
Need proof that the U.S. Open Cup is slowly, but surely, gaining just a little traction? Try this:
FOX Soccer announced via Twitter on Thursday night that it will show next week’s Open Cup Round of 16 contest Sounders FC and the current tournament darlings, Cal FC.
Generally speaking, the Open Cup is just a rumor around TV land until the semifinals.
Kickoff for the MLS-vs.-weekend amateur delight is 10 p.m. ET (7 p.m. in Seattle) at the little Starfire Complex outside Seattle.
A Sounders spokesman told the Seattle Times on Friday that nothing had been signed.
I talked to Cal FC coach Eric Wynalda about the Open Cup (and about a bunch of other stuff) today. You’ll have to wait until tomorrow to know all – and being Eric Wynalda, he dropped a couple of wonderful bombshells, although not necessarily about the U.S. Open Cup.
The interview was for the radio show I co-host on Saturday morning.
I’ll have more on it Saturday at ProSoccerTalk, as well.
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 0
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago