Jun 1, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer …
Big Important Story of the Day: Who knows, guys and girls? It’s Friday (and June 1, no less). We’re just here to enjoy ourselves. Join us, won’t you?
Oh, and set pieces, set pieces, set pieces.
Ahead on the blog today*: Looking ahead to the United States versus Canada on Sunday (A post-Brazil hangover? A Brazilian-inspired beatdown?); the lone MLS game coming up this weekend; friendlies around the world; the results of Mexico’s battle with Bosnia-Herzegovina; and whatever else comes to the brilliant minds of Steve Davis, Richard Farley, and Jenna Pel
Soccer birthday: Alexi Lalas. The ginger turns 42 and doesn’t look a day over, you know, 80 or so.
What we should all be watching on TV: Italy versus Russia (if you can find it).
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Paul Caligiuri
Twitter daps: United States forward Terrence Body (@TBoyd91) is ready for the weekend: “Next stop: Toronto, Canada”
PST background noise while blogging today: ”Graceland,” by Paul Simon. Classic stuff for the beginning of June.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team