Jun 3, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
Fresh off their treble win, several members of Olympique Lyonnais’ squad were on hand at Roland Garros to take in today’s French Open action. They couldn’t resist the chance to flaunt the silverware collected from a spectacularly successful season.
Lyon claimed their sixth successive league title on Saturday after defeating Juvisy 3-0. Juvisy are perennial Feminine Division 1 runners-up and led Lyon at various stages of the season. In what was one of the most competitive French league campaigns in recent memory, Lyon finished a mere four points clear of Juvisy. It was a far cry from last season in which Lyon finished 14 points above second place PSG.
Four of the league’s top five goal-scorers are Lyon players. The team combined for 119 goals on the season – which, as you might imagine, is a league record.
The 2011-12 league title was the last hurdle in achieving Lyon’s longstanding aims of winning the treble. This marks just the third time a European women’s club team has accomplished that feat. Frankfurt won a hat trick of titles in the 2007-08 season. Arsenal Ladies also completed a historic sextuple the year before.
How long will this period of undisputed dominance last? PSG has vowed to redouble their efforts for a title push next season, despite missing out on Champions League qualification. Mercurial midfielder Louisa Necib is expected to join the team and defender Laura Georges has also been linked with a move to the cash-infused Parisian side. For now, Lyon’s players get to revel in the spoils of victory and, best of all, hobnob with Rafael Nadal. C’est genial.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public