Jun 4, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
Before you try to make any arguments that Ireland, under the direction of well-traveled, well-versed coach Giovanni Trapattoni, doesn’t look a little too stodgy, a little too Italian old school in its devotion to Trapattoni’s roots, the Catenaccio, the all-about-defense style that all those old, successful Italian sides hung their old hats on, before you attempt to make any such a case, you had better consider this:
Trapattoni is, in fact, about to become the oldest coach ever to lead a squad at a European Championship.
It says Trapattoni, at 73 years and 85 days, will be the oldest Euro gaffer yet when Ireland meets Croatia on Sunday.
The previous mark for aged wisdom in directing a squad was Austrian-born Otto Barić had just turned 71 when he oversaw Croatia at Euro 2004.
ProSoccerTalk is doing its best to keep you up to date on what’s going on in Poland and Ukraine. Check out the site’s Euro 2012 page and look at the site’s previews, predictions, and coverage of all the events defining UEFA’s championship.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public