Jun 4, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
Michael Bradley has been an important figure around the U.S. national team since 2007, when he featured prominently on the Gold Cup team that summer.
Tamping down those ridiculous cries of nepotism proved difficult, even as Bradley’s game and skill set developed nicely since then. (The midfielder’s father coached the U.S. team until last summer.)
Now, only the biggest chuckleheads out there cling to tired notions of Bradley’s deficient game. He really has matured into an indispensable cog in the U.S. midfield. At this point, Bradley is probably a more important figure in the overall U.S. scheme than Landon Donovan – and Donovan has held that unofficial moniker in and out for almost a decade.
But let’s not get sidetracked on a sticky little debate like that.
Let’s just agree that Bradley has progressed nicely as a player and a leader.
And he’s matured as a person, too, increasingly comfortable in his own skin, with increasing balance on the bigger picture of it all.
Still, he doesn’t embrace being the center of attention. ESPN.com’s Leander Schaerlaeckens had a long conversation with Bradley about it. As Schaerlaeckens says in the article: “There are really only two things of consequence in Bradley’s life: family and soccer.”
That is, talking about himself or anything else extraneous in life gets reduced to cluttering, unneeded distraction.
Clearly, Bradley still has trouble letting people in … but that part is developing, too. He’s getting better about it. Slowly.
It’s a revealing piece, a long one, but worth the read.
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in next round 0
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 8
- 2013/2014 Premier League fixtures released 1
- United States player ratings vs. Honduras 2
- What we learned from the U.S. World Cup qualifier win over Honduras 6
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public