Jun 5, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
Edson Buddle’s production won’t be missed, but news that he will miss three-to-six weeks is just another example of bad news piling up for the 2012 LA Galaxy. The team that was supposed to be one of the best Major League Soccer’s ever produced is now without one of the men expected to lead the team in goals. But, of course, that has not happened.
As Buddle recovers from surgery on his right knee, the he’s only scored two goals in 12 games (eight starts). During his last tour of duty in Los Angeles (the 2010 season, before a brief sojourn in Germany), Buddle scored 17 times. And prior to this season, Buddle’s Galaxy career saw him come good once every two games. This year, it’s one-in-six.
If he’s only gone for three weeks, Buddle will miss games against Portland, Real Salt Lake, and Vancouver, and while he’s had trouble getting on the scoresheet, Buddle’s presence was going to be important in the absence of Robbie Keane (who is with the Republic of Ireland at Euro 2012). Now, Bruce Arena must rely on Chad Barrett and some combination of Adam Cristman or a Landon Donovan pushed up from midfield.
“Help me [Alessandro Del Piero]. You’re my only hope.”
With LA at the bottom of the West, getting results is starting to become very important, particularly when LA plays teams they’ll be fighting for the last of the conference’s five playoff spots. That may be Portland, and it almost certainly will be Vancouver.
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago