Jun 5, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
This date in soccer: Where were you on the wee smalls of June 5, as John O’Brien woke up sleepy, soccer-loving America by nailing one in the early minutes against the reeling Portuguese? Yes, it was 10 years ago on this very date that the United States stunned Portugal to open this country’s best run yet in World Cup play. What a day.
Soccer birthdays: None to report today. But while scouring the internet with the diligence of a Buckingham Palace guard, I came across the video at bottom. It’s greatness.
Big Important Story of the Day: U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 matches fall into the spotlight today. Including the one in Seattle, where all the fans hate me today. (Well, a lot of ‘em anyway.)
Ahead on the blog today*: Euro 2012 elements. Usually, we’d have our MLS weekly rankings. But with just one match over the weekend, not much point.
What we should all be watching on TV: Replays of 1996 European Championship matches on Fox Soccer Channel by day, then the big-talker U.S. Open Cup match from Seattle by night.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Briana Scurry
PST background noise while blogging today: Those replays I mentioned above. Wall to wall Euro, from breakfast time to quitin’ time! Or close, anyway.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 0
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?