Jun 6, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
(Thursday update: he’s signed, according to a new report in the Houston Chronicle.)
Honduran international Oscar Boniek Garcia may soon be property of the Houston Dynamo, according to a report in today’s Houston Chronicle.
Dynamo president Chris Canetti told the Chronicle’s Jose de Jesus Ortiz that the club is “very, very engaged in an effort to finalize a transfer.”
The report says Boniek Garcia would become the club’s second designated player, and the only one currently on roster. Luis Angel Landin was the first; he arrived unfit in 2009 and never came close to justifying a DP salary.
Boniek Garcia, a right-sided midfielder who has been with Honduran power Olimpia since 2007, could help improve a midfield that still looks a little incomplete. Calen Carr has played there lately, replacing Colin Clark, who lost his spot earlier this year and has been coming off the bench lately. Carr hasn’t been bad, but he still looks like a place holder, a striker playing in midfield out of necessity.
Or perhaps Boniek Garcia can become more of an influence as a centrally stationed attacking midfielder; no Dynamo man has been truly influential in that position since Stuart Holden left for Bolton after the 2009 season.
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 3
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 25
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (25)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public