Jun 7, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Two super-quick stories about former U.S. international Alexi Lalas:
1) I was at dinner last week with a women who swears that in 2008, Lalas shotgunned a Red Bull and then promptly spilled it all over her. I texted Lalas about it while we sat there. His response: “If I had a dollar … [for every time that happened].” Funny stuff.
2) He just said on Twitter that he and Michael Ballack “conquered West Hartford, CT last night. It never had a chance.” Indeed.
Ballack, of course, is doing some studio analyst for ESPN, Lalas’ network, during the European Championship.
But all of this is really just an excuse to post this awesome Alexi Lalas photo retrospective.
By the way, going all the way back to the 1994 World Cup, when Lalas was just a young goatee of a center back and I was just a young reporter, there really hasn’t been a nicer guy to work with.
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 0
- Philadelphia’s Jack McInerney would be league’s youngest Golden Boot winner 0
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 3
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 1
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago