Jun 7, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Well, so much for the three-year plan.
Dutchman Aron Winter is out as manager at Toronto – and the piecemeal revolving door of management, philosophies, tactical approaches, personnel plans, etc., just keeps a’swingin’ for TFC.
We’ll have more on this later, on what it means to a club that has never made the playoffs, even in a league where the post-season structure remains fairly forgiving.
I always endorsed Winter’s long-term approach; he said all along, from his introduction as head coach before the 2010 season, that he had a three-year plan. But it really was harder and harder to see where this thing was going; TFC just set a league mark for futility to open a season, losing its first nine.
And Winter (or perhaps the collective management conglomerate) never seemed to get a grip on what kind of men would and wouldn’t work along the back line in MLS. Bold tactical approaches and 4-3-3s are fine and all – but any system requires defenders who can, you know, defend.
And the midfield was a habitual, unstructured mess, one that never seemed to improve.
Whatever the reason, losing nine in a row in a season where hope had floated along Lake Ontario that playoff soccer was within reach, that just wasn’t good enough.
In a league of such parity, teams damn near have to try to lose nine games in a row. I’m not suggesting anything untoward here; just saying that’s how bad things were around BMO Field.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (13)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team