Jun 8, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
TAMPA, Fla. – Landon Donovan takes penalty kicks for the national team, right? Always has – or at least since about 1986. Or maybe it just seems that way.
So when he drove into the 18 before the break Friday, only to be scythed down, surely he’s grabbing the ball, right?
So, why did Clint Dempsey do the burying from 12 yards? Manager Jurgen Klinsmann had a pretty funny answer:
“I have nothing to do with that. They are old enough to figure that out on the field.”
Being a little more contemplative, Klinsmann then got more to the point. He talked about Dempsey still not being quite Dempsey, still getting over the injury hump.
“He’s not there yet, he knows that and we know that too,” Klinsmann said. “And a goal for strikers always helps.”
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public