Clint Dempsey’s fitness status is two words: “getting there”

Jun 8, 2012, 7:58 AM EST

Gold Cup Quarterfinals - Jamaica v United States Getty Images

TAMPA, Fla. – The United States should be fine tonight against Antigua and Barbuda, a little bush among some very tall trees, with or without Clint Dempsey.

But there’s no doubt that what Dempsey brings, not only in terms of ability but in experience – this will be the Fulham man’s third qualifying cycle – will be needed going forward, starting next week at Guatemala.

Dempsey play 34 minutes in the loss to Brazil. He started and went the  full 90 Sunday against Canada but never seemed to find the higher gears.

Here’s what Dempsey said late last night, following the U.S. practice, about his bid for full recovery:

I’m getting there. Feeling good, getting sharper, getting more fit. Getting more explosive. I’m feeling like I’m able to have that little bit of explosion now to get to roads that were shut off is there now. I wasn’t feeling that in the Brazil game [nine days ago], I was still trying to get there. At the end of the game, it was about trying to get that fitness back.

So, I feel like I’m getting over the hump a little bit and I’m looking forward to these next two games. Like I said earlier, just really putting that pressure on myself to perform. I have to be one of the guys who steps up in these games, to be able to chip into to these games, to score goals or to create chances. That’s my mindset right now.

Latest Posts
  1. Pele moved to “special care” unit as treatment continues

Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 PM EST

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Pele AP

Brazilian legend hospitalized for second time this month.

2. English FA charge Dave Whelan after anti-Semitic, racist comments

Nov 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

Barnsley v Wigan Athletic - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Whelan charged by FA over accusations of anti-Semitic, racist remarks.

3. VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League

Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST

Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?

4. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

5. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

6. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

7. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

8. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

9. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

10. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

11. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

12. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

13. Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere

Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST

All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.

14. Paul Mitchell named Tottenham’s new head of recruitment

Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 PM EST

Paul Mitchell

The raid on Southampton continues, as their recruiting guru heads to Spurs.

15. Arsenal 2-0 Dortmund: Sanogo and Sanchez send the Gunners through to the Knockout Stage

Nov 26, 2014, 4:43 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

It was an upbeat display from the Gunners, who move on to the Champions League knockout stage.

16. Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope

Nov 26, 2014, 4:42 PM EST

Reds cough up late goal, but can still advance to the last 16 of the UCL with a win over Basel in their final group game.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday