Jun 8, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
Man of the match: It was a curious halftime substitution, Greece bringing on a forward for somebody who could play midfield (after going a man down). Fernando Santos obviously knew his team well, because veteran Dimitris Salpingidis was the right move. In the 51st minute, Salpigidis poached an equalizer, and midway though the second, he won a penalty kick and red card, evening the numbers.
Packaged for takeaway:
- What a disappointing result for Poland. You come out, dominate the first half hour, and take a one goal lead into half time with a man advantage. Then not only do you fail to get full points, you’re lucky to get one after a penalty kick isn’t converted.
- Experience is largely overrated (and overused, but commentators). Tonight, it really seemed to matter. Poland seemed naive in the second half, never working to put the game away when they had control. Greece, on the other hand, overcame their disadvantage and, by full time, were clearly the better side.
- After the first half hour, it was clear Poland had three advantages, none of which they used in the second half:
- Greece couldn’t handle the right side of Poland’s attack. Robert Lewandowski would come back and play forward to Jakub Blaszczykowski and Lukasz Piszczek (all Borussia Dortmund players). The combination was almost never stopped and produced Poland’s only goal (a first half header from Lewandowski from a Kuba cross). In the second half, Poland only threw Piszczek forward once.
- Poland was dominant on set pieces in the first, but in the second, they never pressured the Greece defense enough to earn more opportunities.
- And twice in the first half, Poland had jailbreak counter attack chances. Greece played too deep in the second to concede any counters.
ProSoccerTalk is doing its best to keep you up to date on what’s going on in Poland and Ukraine. Check out the site’s Euro 2012 page and look at the site’s previews, predictions, and coverage of all the events defining UEFA’s championship.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
The Dutch midfielder scored off two ridiculous strikes to lead Galatasary over rivals Fenerbahce.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
The Sounders came from 2-0 down to steal a draw in Los Angeles at Landon Donovan’s final regular season home game.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Werder Bremen became the first team without a shot in a Bundesliga game as Bayern continues to cruise.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
The Argentinian forward is scoring goals at a blistering pace for Manchester City. Could he be the most lethal striker in Europe?
Oct 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Catch up on all of this weekend’s action from Spain and Italy’s top flights.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
After an ugly 8-0 thrashing at Southampton, Vito Mannone said he will try to pay back fans who travelled to the game.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
The American international responded to Jurgen Klinsmann’s recent criticism of his return to the MLS.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
The private nature of Mackay’s texts may help him steer clear of FA charges.
Oct 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Bale did not play in Real Madrid’s match against Levante while nursing a muscle injury.
Oct 19, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
12 players sent off, an ambulance called, and riot police on the field. That was the carnage from an ugly brawl in Argentinian soccer.
Oct 19, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
The Swansea manager was furious following a soft penalty given for a foul on Victor Moses, suggesting his club has been hard done by referees plenty this season.
Oct 19, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Raheem Sterling faced criticism from the British media for his fitness, but he was also rumored to be wanted by Real Madrid. Ancelotti says don’t believe the rumors.
Oct 19, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
The QPR manager loved what he saw on the field at Loftus Road despite the loss. Off the field is a different story.
Oct 19, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Walters scored the winner off the bench as Stoke City grabbed a much-needed three points.
Oct 19, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Harry Redknapp was left flabbergasted after his side performed well but fell 3-2 after a bonkers last five minutes at Loftus Road.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Rodgers, Gerrard know the Reds were fortunate to leave West London with all three points. But they’ll take it.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
Two teams who have dipped in form look to get back on track at the Britannia.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Liverpool struggled through the first hour, but somehow earned the win in an absolutely wild finish.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
QPR’s wasteful finishing, Balotelli’s struggles and much more from a superb encounter at Loftus Road.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT
Borussia Dortmund have lost five of their opening eight matches, putting them in 14th.
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 0
- Where does Sergio Aguero rank with the world’s best? 0
- Michael Bradley to Jurgen Klinsmann: ‘I have thick skin’ 0
- Stoke 2-1 Swansea: Substitutes pick up three points for the Potters 0
- Liverpool must improve, and they know it, despite late win at QPR 3
- VIDEO: QPR 2-3 Liverpool: Pair of own goals dooms QPR after insane final six minutes 1