Jun 8, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: Argentine international Javier Mascherano turns 28. Nigerian international and Fulham midfielder Dickson Etuhu turns 30.
Big Important Story of the Day: This is like Christmas Day for soccer fans. We finally get to start tearing off the wrapping of regional World Cup qualifying and the UEFA European Championship. Let’s face it, days like this are proof that the big referee in the sky loves us and wants us to be happy.
Ahead on the blog today: Lots and lots from Tampa, where the United States meets Antigua and Barbuda, plus all the action from Poland and Ukraine.
What we should all be watching on TV: Two games on ESPN from Euro 2012 – Poland vs. Greece at noon ET, and Russia vs. Czech Republic at 2:45 p.m. ET. Coverage on those begins about half and hour earlier. And those are just the afternoon warmups! The United States meets Antigua & Barbuda at 7 p.m. (on ESPN and Spanish-language Galavision). And finally, Mexico meets Guyana at 7:50 p.m. on Spanish-language Univision.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Thomas Dooley
Twitter daps: U.S. international and Anderlecht midfielder Sacha Kljestan (@SachaKljestan): Just did a EURO 2012 bracket prediction. My top 2 from each group: Poland, Russia, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy, England, France.
ESPN analyst Monica Gonzalez (@MonicaGonzo), who is with the U.S. team in Tampa: Euros & World Cup qualifiers begin tomorrow. My predictions: 1. Spain wins euros 2.#usmnt scores within 8 min
We’ll leave you with this: The weather man in Tampa just promised we’ll see from rays of sun here today … but also warned it would happen only in spurts. “Sunglasses and umbrellas today!” he tells us. This one’s gonna be close.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 11
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 5
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (28)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (11)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team