Jun 10, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
KIEV — PST proprietor Steve was nice enough to let me chronicle my trip to the Ukraine for the European Championship, so I’ll be bringing you lovely people dispatches throughout the next week from the ground. A friend and I are headed into the stadiums for Netherlands-Germany (suddenly so much more important for the Dutch) and England-Sweden, and we’ll also be bouncing around various cities trying to get a lay of the land and find Jimmy Conrad.
A couple quick thoughts before I crash for a bit since the last time I slept in a proper bed was before the United States-Antigua and Barbuda match
* There are lots of Swedish fans streaming into Kiev for tomorrow’s opening match against the home country. I’m sure they will be significantly outnumbered, but it’s nice to see them arrive regardless. Plus, both teams are blue and yellow anyway, so how can you tell who’s rooting for who?
* The aforementioned Swedish fans have quite the appetite for Jagermeister.
* The dedicated Euro 2012 lines (see above) at customs in the Kiev airport are amazingly convenient.
* It poured earlier today. It’s hard to tell from the video below, but trust us. Even our cab driver was impressed.
May 22, 2015, 12:02 AM EDT
Firing one of the world’s elite managers, so you can hire a good-but-not-great replacement? Not smart, Real Madrid, not smart at all.
May 21, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
According to Scholes, the solution to Man United’s goalkeeping problem is a no-brainer.
May 21, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT
Well done to Tottenham Hotspur for showing the necessary compassion and taking care of one of their own.
May 21, 2015, 8:24 PM EDT
The draw for the 4th round of the 2015 US Open Cup tossed up a couple of absolute doozies on Thursday night.
May 21, 2015, 7:23 PM EDT
Jack Grealish has a big decision to make in the not-so-distant future, and it’s going to affect the course of the rest of his career.
May 21, 2015, 5:29 PM EDT
Thierry Henry is riding Olivier Giroud very hard these days, claiming Arsenal will never win a PL title with him leading the line.
May 21, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Qatar isn’t the only World Cup host to make others upset.
May 21, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Sponsors hold the one true key to change in Qatar, and strong words are a start.
May 21, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Many European leagues have spots in the big dance still up for grabs.
May 21, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Jordon Ibe and Jon Flanagan both will stick around Anfield for a while longer.
May 21, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Only one candidate remains to battle Sepp Blatter, and it doesn’t look good.
May 21, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
The man who’s been investigated by the FBI and green lit loads of allegedly corrupt ideas will continue to rule your favorite sport.
May 21, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT
The announcement is the final touch of a poorly-kept secret, and comes with the Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League on the horizon.
May 21, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
The Impact will be looking for their third-straight Canadian Championship, having defeated TFC and Vancouver in recent campaigns.
May 21, 2015, 9:03 AM EDT
Ward said every club in the Premier League would bid for Sterling (who has already reportedly turned down an offer worth $235,000 a week).
May 21, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Phil Jones and Chris Smalling make it a trio of Manchester United players on the roster, while Arsenal paces all Premier League squads with four call-ups.
May 21, 2015, 7:46 AM EDT
There’s a guarantee that a fourth-tier side or lower will see the fourth round, thanks to a pair of surprise wins.
May 20, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
Borussia Dortmund’s sporting director has said the prized defender will stay in Germany next season.
May 20, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
A brace from Krisztian Nemeth led Sporting KC to an impressive win over a Revolution side that will leave Kansas City disappointed.
May 20, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
With the Magpies in danger of relegation, supporters want owner Mike Ashley to sell the club.
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 0
- Agent: Sterling wouldn’t sign new Liverpool deal, even for $1.4 million a week 6
- Leicester, QPR, Burnley players earn England call-ups for June matches 2
- US Open Cup second round wrap: Several USL sides clipped by “minnows” 1
- Mats Hummels rejects Manchester United move, will stay at Dortmund 5
- Wayne Rooney on Manchester United’s season: We have met our main goals 1