Jun 10, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
KIEV — PST proprietor Steve was nice enough to let me chronicle my trip to the Ukraine for the European Championship, so I’ll be bringing you lovely people dispatches throughout the next week from the ground. A friend and I are headed into the stadiums for Netherlands-Germany (suddenly so much more important for the Dutch) and England-Sweden, and we’ll also be bouncing around various cities trying to get a lay of the land and find Jimmy Conrad.
A couple quick thoughts before I crash for a bit since the last time I slept in a proper bed was before the United States-Antigua and Barbuda match
* There are lots of Swedish fans streaming into Kiev for tomorrow’s opening match against the home country. I’m sure they will be significantly outnumbered, but it’s nice to see them arrive regardless. Plus, both teams are blue and yellow anyway, so how can you tell who’s rooting for who?
* The aforementioned Swedish fans have quite the appetite for Jagermeister.
* The dedicated Euro 2012 lines (see above) at customs in the Kiev airport are amazingly convenient.
* It poured earlier today. It’s hard to tell from the video below, but trust us. Even our cab driver was impressed.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Paul Scholes joined former teammates Ryan Giggs, Phil Neville and Nicky Butt as Manchester United prepared for this week’s match vs Norwich
Apr 23, 2014, 7:32 AM EDT
This is a massive break for the Blaugranas and will no doubt be met with consternation by its rivals.
Champions League preview: Defending champion Bayern Munich looks to end Real Madrid quest for 10th title
Apr 23, 2014, 6:12 AM EDT
Bayern is two steps away from back-to-back titles. Real Madrid’s the same distance from its decima.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Ferguson has kept quiet during the club’s latest transition, but according to reporting Tuesday night, he’ll play a part in finding David Moyes’ replacement.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT
With injuries forcing his hand, the Blues’ boss wants to concentrate on Champions League.
Apr 22, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
They only took one point from Vancouver, but LA Galaxy won three spots in this week’s Best XI.
Apr 22, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Chelsea boss has a big job on his hands ahead of the second leg:
Apr 22, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Mourinho’s approach; Lampard’s card; and the Blues’ two big injuries.
Apr 22, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Chelsea do a job on Atleti, as everything’s up for grabs in the second leg:
Apr 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Evoking memories of their 2012 championship run, the Blues played out a scoreless draw in leg one.
Apr 22, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
He missed out on our award in Week One. Six weeks later, those no denying the RSL number one.
Apr 22, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Excepting Sir Alex Ferguson, the Manchester United Supporters Trust is really not fond of any higher-up at the club right now.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
The lineups are out for Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League semifinal first leg between Atletico Madrid and Chelsea in Spain.
Apr 22, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
As much as he loves the club, perhaps even Giggs knows he’s not completely ready for the gig.
Apr 22, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
A lost Super Bowl bet means Colorado defender Shane O’Neill will be enjoying a gooey treat courtesy of Seattle’s DeAndre Yedlin.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
The celebration has now cost Anelka a job, West Bromwich Albion some sponsors and Sagbo some money.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Replacing Sir Alex was always a tall order, but Moyes never seemed to fit.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
So far head coach Mark Hughes likes what he’s seen.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
“We are no longer favorites,” said the Dutchman.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
David Moyes is out at Manchester United after less than a year. How did we get here?
- Barcelona’s transfer ban suspended by FIFA, should allow club to make summer moves 0
- Champions League preview: Defending champion Bayern Munich looks to end Real Madrid quest for 10th title 0
- Alex Ferguson backed David Moyes’ firing, will help select a successor 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 7 0
- Five moments that defined Chelsea’s Champions League trip to Atlético Madrid 0
- Three things we learned from Atletico Madrid vs. Chelsea 2