Jun 11, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Houston’s fans surely have had quite enough of this quirky scheduling.
Scheduling is always a tough issue in MLS, and a frequently contentious one.
The Dynamo’s case was complicated by its May stadium opening; league officials tried to mitigate the early hit by back-loading games into later months.
But the result has been a lot of games lately. And Sunday, the Dynamo traveled to play at Vancouver in the only game of the weekend, a weekend where everyone else was idle due to the international break.
So this is what happens when teams are forced to play on a weekend arranged so that teams won’t have to play: The Dynamo defense was half unrecognizable. Houston was missing three of its top five defenders: Geoff Cameron (United States), Jermaine Taylor (Jamaica) and Andre Hainault (Canada).
Nathan Sturgis played center back; he’s played fullback before in MLS, but he’s mostly been a midfielder. Meanwhile, rookie right back Warren Creavalle played his first MLS minutes. So it’s probably no surprise that Houston matched a season-high three goals allowed in the 3-1 loss to the Whitecaps.
Of course, credit where credit is due. Vancouver couldn’t have cared less about Houston’s defensive issues. This was a big night for Vancouver rookie Darren Mattocks (pictured from Sunday), who supplied two of the goals, including one in the 4th minute. He was probably unfortunate not to get a hat trick.
Here’s Mattocks’ first:
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team