Jun 13, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Every time an MLS coaching post opens up, I have the same thought: “Wonder if longtime assistant Richie Williams will get his shot?”
Philadelphia and Peter Nowak went splitsville earlier today; the Union has named John Hackworth as interim assistant.
Williams is a former assistant at New York and D.C. United. He’s the current U.S. under-17 national team coach, and for all I know, he’s happy as a beer on ice and carries not an ounce of interest in the job at PPL Park. But …
If he is interested, they should bust a move and get interested in him.
Hopefully the suits in corner offices understand this hard reality about coaching in Major League Soccer: it may be sexier to go get an accent, a man with hifalutin experience in fancy leagues overseas. But generally speaking, men with MLS experience have a far greater chance of success.
(As for why that is … that’s a longer discussion; let’s stay focused here.)
About for Williams specifically: things seemed to go OK both times he took over as interim manager at New York. He knows the league’s ins and outs, and he knows about the U.S. youth player pool.
I’ve only talked to Williams twice (that I can recall); he always struck me as someone who had his stuff buttoned up, who knew what he was doing. He’s a straight talker; perhaps that puts some people off. Otherwise, I couldn’t say why he’s popped up on some candidate short lists but never sealed the deal.
By the way, if Philadelphia thinks it needs someone with head coaching experience, they aren’t paying attention. Because young and inexperienced, but with MLS playing or coaching experience, is all the rage.
I count 12 of 19 MLS coaches whose current post is their first professional head coaching job.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 1
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination