Jun 13, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
No matter what comes of ongoing Russians effort at Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine, they will be up against it for Euro 2016. Russia already sits six points behind. Probably, anyway.
Citing crowd behavior, violence and “illicit banners,” European soccer’s governing body has already hacked a probationary six points off the Russian total for next round of qualifying.
According to UEFA’s official statement: “The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body has today decided to impose a deduction of six points on the Football Union of Russia (RFS) in the qualifying round of the next UEFA European Football Championship.
“This decision is suspended for a probationary period running from now until the end of the play-offs of the next UEFA European Football Championship (UEFA Euro 2016).
“The RFS was facing charges for the improper conduct of its supporters (crowd disturbances), the setting off and throwing of fireworks and the display of illicit banners at last Friday’s Uefa Euro 2012 Group A match against the Czech Republic.
The Russian federation was also fined about $150,000.
Here’s the important thing to remember: all the investigated messiness was before Tuesday’s rowdiness; this was all about Friday’s violence and shenanigans, which turned out to be something of a warm-up for Tuesday’s greater efforts at infamy. So, is there more ahead?
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 21
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 2
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (22)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Donovan: “I’ll get my way back in” with USMNT (9)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team