Jun 14, 2012, 11:14 AM EST
SI’s Grant Wahl got a few minutes with Ukrainian superhero Andriy Shevchenko, stirring the Sheva-to-MLS pot just a little more.
Remember, Shevchenko’s wife is American, and the man has never hidden his adoration and admiration for all things States.
“We come and visit [D.C.] every year,” Shevchenko told Wahl. “Kristen has a big family living in Bethesda. I love golf, and we’re members at Congressional.”
In the piece now up at SI.com, you’ll also note that his contract with Dynamo Kiev is up in July. That means no transfer fee, which significantly ups the chances of an MLS move. Generally, MLS doesn’t do “transfer fees.”
So it really depends on the contract terms Shevchenko might seek, tricky business considering he’ll be fast approaching 36 upon arrival.
Possibilities? Los Angeles in the event Robbie Keane makes a summer move. He could definitely assist Chicago if they can find the money.
New York will surely be in the mentions, although that’s hardly what the Red Bulls need (another high-profile striker) as a third DP.
Not many teams have money left under the cap, and ones that do (like Montreal, for instance) would do better to think “young DP” rather than a guy who will have one or two years to offer, tops.
From Wahl’s piece:
I told everyone I’ll decide after Euro 2012 what I’m going to do, whether I’ll carry on in football or maybe finish, whether I’ll move in Europe, stay in Ukraine or have the opportunity to come to the U.S. and play in the league there.”
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit