Jun 14, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
SI’s Grant Wahl got a few minutes with Ukrainian superhero Andriy Shevchenko, stirring the Sheva-to-MLS pot just a little more.
Remember, Shevchenko’s wife is American, and the man has never hidden his adoration and admiration for all things States.
“We come and visit [D.C.] every year,” Shevchenko told Wahl. “Kristen has a big family living in Bethesda. I love golf, and we’re members at Congressional.”
In the piece now up at SI.com, you’ll also note that his contract with Dynamo Kiev is up in July. That means no transfer fee, which significantly ups the chances of an MLS move. Generally, MLS doesn’t do “transfer fees.”
So it really depends on the contract terms Shevchenko might seek, tricky business considering he’ll be fast approaching 36 upon arrival.
Possibilities? Los Angeles in the event Robbie Keane makes a summer move. He could definitely assist Chicago if they can find the money.
New York will surely be in the mentions, although that’s hardly what the Red Bulls need (another high-profile striker) as a third DP.
Not many teams have money left under the cap, and ones that do (like Montreal, for instance) would do better to think “young DP” rather than a guy who will have one or two years to offer, tops.
From Wahl’s piece:
I told everyone I’ll decide after Euro 2012 what I’m going to do, whether I’ll carry on in football or maybe finish, whether I’ll move in Europe, stay in Ukraine or have the opportunity to come to the U.S. and play in the league there.”
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 0
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 4
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 4
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 4
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (15)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team