A little more on the Andriy Shevchenko-MLS possibility

Jun 14, 2012, 11:14 AM EST

After a glittering 18-year soccer career, is Shevchenko about to celebrate success on the golf course? After a glittering 18-year soccer career, is Shevchenko about to celebrate success on the golf course?

SI’s Grant Wahl got a few minutes with Ukrainian superhero Andriy Shevchenko, stirring the Sheva-to-MLS pot just a little more.

Remember, Shevchenko’s wife is American, and the man has never hidden his adoration and admiration for all things States.

“We come and visit [D.C.] every year,” Shevchenko told Wahl. “Kristen has a big family living in Bethesda. I love golf, and we’re members at Congressional.”

In the piece now up at SI.com, you’ll also note that his contract with Dynamo Kiev is up in July. That means no transfer fee, which significantly ups the chances of an MLS move. Generally, MLS doesn’t do “transfer fees.”

So it really depends on the contract terms Shevchenko might seek, tricky business considering he’ll be fast approaching 36 upon arrival.

Possibilities? Los Angeles in the event Robbie Keane makes a summer move. He could definitely assist Chicago if they can find the money.

New York will surely be in the mentions, although that’s hardly what the Red Bulls need (another high-profile striker) as a third DP.

Not many teams have money left under the cap, and ones that do (like Montreal, for instance) would do better to think “young DP” rather than a guy who will have one or two years to offer, tops.

From Wahl’s piece:

I told everyone I’ll decide after Euro 2012 what I’m going to do, whether I’ll carry on in football or maybe finish, whether I’ll move in Europe, stay in Ukraine or have the opportunity to come to the U.S. and play in the league there.”

1. tylerbetts - Jun 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I’m unfamiliar with cap situations, but what about a place that puts emphasis on the *other* competitions and could use an experienced body to help with thos runs? I’m thinking about Seattle or Salt Lake here, when I type that.

2. Steve Davis - Jun 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Doesn’t really fit Real Salt Lake personnel philosophy, and Seattle looks pretty good at striker as is. Plus, Seattle has three DPs and probably not much (if any) money under the cap w/out making a move, which looks dangerous to me. (Although I must say, Alvaro Fernandez never made much sense as a DP.)

3. ndnut - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:32 PM

David Estrada just broke his ankle and is out 8-12 weeks. Move Fernandez and bring him in!

4. ndnut - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Pardon me: broken left foot. Happened in training. I can’t remember if it was yesterday or the day before.

• Steve Davis - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Eddie Johnson provides cover at striker (and I’m not sold on Estrada as an everyday kinda guy just yet). But, yes, I agree on Fernandez. He adds something … but maybe not enough for the compensation.

5. ndnut - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Mauro is old and I think with Estrada out it’s important to get someone who can relieve him. Shevy can do just that, as well as do some starter work.

• Steve Davis - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Mauro? Mauro Rosales? … He is 31 (hardly ancient), and that dude BRINGS IT. Seattle offense plays at a different level when he’s on the field.

6. ndnut - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Also, a lot of the strikers they have could use another year or two in the reserve league if they truly want success for them.

7. ndnut - Jun 15, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Okay, he isn’t as old as I thought. He is amazing but I still think a relief striker would do them well replacing Alvaro. Don’t tell me that Shevy isn’t better than Alvaro. That would just not be true.

JPW's top five PL moments of 2014