Jun 14, 2012, 11:14 AM EST
SI’s Grant Wahl got a few minutes with Ukrainian superhero Andriy Shevchenko, stirring the Sheva-to-MLS pot just a little more.
Remember, Shevchenko’s wife is American, and the man has never hidden his adoration and admiration for all things States.
“We come and visit [D.C.] every year,” Shevchenko told Wahl. “Kristen has a big family living in Bethesda. I love golf, and we’re members at Congressional.”
In the piece now up at SI.com, you’ll also note that his contract with Dynamo Kiev is up in July. That means no transfer fee, which significantly ups the chances of an MLS move. Generally, MLS doesn’t do “transfer fees.”
So it really depends on the contract terms Shevchenko might seek, tricky business considering he’ll be fast approaching 36 upon arrival.
Possibilities? Los Angeles in the event Robbie Keane makes a summer move. He could definitely assist Chicago if they can find the money.
New York will surely be in the mentions, although that’s hardly what the Red Bulls need (another high-profile striker) as a third DP.
Not many teams have money left under the cap, and ones that do (like Montreal, for instance) would do better to think “young DP” rather than a guy who will have one or two years to offer, tops.
From Wahl’s piece:
I told everyone I’ll decide after Euro 2012 what I’m going to do, whether I’ll carry on in football or maybe finish, whether I’ll move in Europe, stay in Ukraine or have the opportunity to come to the U.S. and play in the league there.”
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 5
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire
- Report: Man City Prepare $278 Million Offer for Lionel Messi
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge