Jun 14, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
This is a highly educational and well-organized walk through Peter Nowak’s days in charge of the Philadelphia Union.
It’s worth a look, even if you aren’t a member of the Cheesesteak Nation; that is, a Philadelphia Union fan.
It’s worth a gander because his tenure really was all over the place, accomplished early, then devolving into a perplexing exhibition of personnel management. So his relationship with fans and players became increasingly churlish and strained, even venturing into zones of outright hostile.
His days in charge at PPL Park started so well, as Nowak admirably constructed a young team. It looked like he had a plan, and the folks in Philly were on board. But then, something happened. Who can say what … who, that is, that wasn’t inside the rooms where decisions were made, choices that didn’t always seem to make sense.
Here’s a great example from the timeline piece at MLSSoccer.com (linked above):
In a dramatic and bizarre postgame press conference, Nowak announces Ruiz would be leaving the club, indicating that the “pre-bias” that fans toward him played a role in the decision. “I always believed fans in the stands will stand behind us and are going to cheer for us and all the players we have on the roster, and not having something against a single player.
And that was before things got bad, a period that started with odd tactical choices in last year’s failed playoff series, where the Union went out against eventual MLS runner-up Houston. Soon after, Nowak went “complete overhaul” on a roster that he build from scratch just two years before.
See? Difficult to understand.
Check out the entire rundown of Nowak’s days and nights at PPL Park and decide for yourself.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team