Jun 16, 2012, 4:39 AM EDT
KIEV, Ukraine — Contrary to popular belief (thanks for freaking my mom out, Farley!), the world did not end in Ukraine earlier on Friday. It merely rained very, very hard, but the games must go on. France-Ukraine ended a tad late but without incident, giving way to England-Sweden where we happened to be. A back-and-forth 3-2 affair, but you already knew that. You wanted some observations from on the ground? Well, you came to the right place.
- On the streets of Kiev before the match, the Swedish fans outnumbered the English ones by three or four to one. Part of it is the bright yellow Swedish shirts, part of it is England’s complete lack of faith in their team. Also, a friendly English gent told my friend Andrew that a lot of people stayed away, scared by a BBC documentary.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic is even more fun in person than on television. He sulks, he wanders back aimlessly, he walks incredibly slowly. Then he does something amazing. It’s a joy to watch, if you like that sort of thing.
- Not sure what to make of the England team. Their fans, however, are awful. Sorry, but they are.
Enough of my thoughts, how about some pictures?
The home base for the British.
The English “March to the stadium.” Maybe more security than fans.
From this position, I can sort of see the field.
Not pictured: Hundreds of riot police standing shoulder-to-shoulder in front of the English section to keep them from storming the field.
Post-game subway ride home. Seriously you guys, enough with the “U-cray-EE-nah” chants.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement