Jun 18, 2012, 7:55 AM EDT
It’s mid-June, and the Los Angeles Galaxy, reigning champions of Major League Soccer, just recorded its first shutout of 2012.
Let that sink in.
Regardless of the timing, everyone in a Galaxy jersey is clearly ecstatic to finally post a clean sheet, getting the back line business done in a 1-0 win Sunday evening over Portland.
It was far from perfect, as there was controversy on the Galaxy goal, and a bit more as Portland’s Danny Mwanga was tackled from behind inside the Galaxy penalty area.
Plus, the shutout may not have happened but for Josh Saunders’ re-appearance in Galaxy goal.
The Galaxy’s veteran was back on the field for the first time since late April, when he entered the league’s Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health program. Saunders didn’t need long to prove his worth, making two important saves before the break, including one from point blank, and then helping his club ride out Todd Dunivant’s goal to snap a seven-game winless streak.
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 2
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 4
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 2
- Who’s in across Europe? Glancing at the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League 1