Jun 18, 2012, 7:55 AM EDT
It’s mid-June, and the Los Angeles Galaxy, reigning champions of Major League Soccer, just recorded its first shutout of 2012.
Let that sink in.
Regardless of the timing, everyone in a Galaxy jersey is clearly ecstatic to finally post a clean sheet, getting the back line business done in a 1-0 win Sunday evening over Portland.
It was far from perfect, as there was controversy on the Galaxy goal, and a bit more as Portland’s Danny Mwanga was tackled from behind inside the Galaxy penalty area.
Plus, the shutout may not have happened but for Josh Saunders’ re-appearance in Galaxy goal.
The Galaxy’s veteran was back on the field for the first time since late April, when he entered the league’s Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health program. Saunders didn’t need long to prove his worth, making two important saves before the break, including one from point blank, and then helping his club ride out Todd Dunivant’s goal to snap a seven-game winless streak.
- LIVE – Premier League, at the half: All four games 1-0; Foxes lead, Burnley sees red 0
- Watch Live: Everton vs. Burnley (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 33 0
- Brek Shea’s USMNT return includes a personal, artistic touch 3
- Wayne Rooney may play in midfield: How will Chelsea, Manchester United line up? 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 33 0