Jun 18, 2012, 7:55 AM EST
It’s mid-June, and the Los Angeles Galaxy, reigning champions of Major League Soccer, just recorded its first shutout of 2012.
Let that sink in.
Regardless of the timing, everyone in a Galaxy jersey is clearly ecstatic to finally post a clean sheet, getting the back line business done in a 1-0 win Sunday evening over Portland.
It was far from perfect, as there was controversy on the Galaxy goal, and a bit more as Portland’s Danny Mwanga was tackled from behind inside the Galaxy penalty area.
Plus, the shutout may not have happened but for Josh Saunders’ re-appearance in Galaxy goal.
The Galaxy’s veteran was back on the field for the first time since late April, when he entered the league’s Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health program. Saunders didn’t need long to prove his worth, making two important saves before the break, including one from point blank, and then helping his club ride out Todd Dunivant’s goal to snap a seven-game winless streak.
- Red Bulls’ season could rest on the shoulders of Tim Cahill 0
- Can Thibaut Courtois surpass Manuel Neuer as the world’s best? 2
- Geoff Cameron talks Thanksgiving, Stoke City vs. Liverpool and more 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester United, Chelsea, QPR 0
- Top Five storylines for Week 13 of the Premier League 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 13 0