Jun 20, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
Good news for the English, but very bad news for the Italians: decorated center back Giorgio Chiellini will miss the Azzurri’s quarterfinal Sunday against England, according to reports out of the Italian camp.
The Juventus defender has a thigh strain, similar to the spring ailment that had cast doubt over his ability to perform at Euro 2012, but apparently not the same injury.
He is likely to be replaced once again by Juve teammate Leonardo Bonucci, who came in for Chiellini in the second half against Ireland.
Bonucci is no slouch, but he doesn’t have Chiellini’s experience (53 caps). And that little bit extra may be the difference considering Wayne Rooney, England’s top talent, is back and presumably sharper after finally getting on the field at Euro 2012.
Remaining Euro 2012 schedule
(All matches 2:45 p.m. ET)
Thursday, QF1: Czech Republic vs. Portugal
Friday, QF2: Germany vs. Greece
Saturday, QF3: Spain vs. France
Sunday, QF4: England vs. Italy
June 27: Winner QF1 vs. Winner QF3
June 28: Winner QF2 vs. Winner QF4
ProSoccerTalk is doing its best to keep you up to date on what’s going on in Poland and Ukraine. Check out the site’s Euro 2012 page and look at the site’s previews, predictions, and coverage of all the events defining UEFA’s championship.
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 1
- Three MLS sides chasing Carlton Cole? 0
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional