Jun 21, 2012, 10:51 AM EST
As you read the continued reports of boffo TV ratings for the ongoing European Championship, please keep this in mind:
Americans do not like soccer.
Or so we’re told. Again and again. Perhaps less so than five or certainly less than 10 years ago. But lots of old white guys in media – mostly the set still anchored to “good, old-days syndrome,” the moldy element still dying to know “Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?” – strain to remind us that, dagnabit, Americans don’t like soccer!
And old white guys in media can’t be wrong. So as you study and consider the following numbers, please keep that in mind:
- The 24 games in Euro 2012 group stage have averaged a little more than one million viewers. That’s almost double the 552,000 average for Euro 2008.
- The highest rated game of this tournament so far: The 1-1 draw between Italy and Spain on June 10 (a Sunday). The Group C opener was seen by an average of 2.113 million viewers, bigger than any Euro 2008 game except the ABC-televised final (Germany-Spain) that was seen by an average of 3.760 million viewers.
- Remember, those figures do not include viewership along ESPN’s digital platforms or Spanish-language networks.
ProSoccerTalk is doing its best to keep you up to date on what’s going on in Poland and Ukraine. Check out the site’s Euro 2012 page and look at the site’s previews, predictions, and coverage of all the events defining UEFA’s championship.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"