Jun 21, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
All the warning signs are going up in Houston.
After surviving the early, road-intensive scheduling gauntlet – the result of BBVA Compass Stadium’s late opening – the men in Orange had everything in front of them for the summer.
And in fairness, they haven’t lost yet at BBVA, now 3-0-2 after last night’s rally from two goals down against the worst team in MLS. Two second-half strikes let Houston off with a 3-3 draw with Toronto (which dressed just 15 players, including the extra goalkeeper, after seeing three arrested and subsequently sent home Sunday night.)
Dallas out-played Houston for at BBVA for long stretches over the weekend, although the home team eventually prevailed over its Texas rival, which went down to 10 men.
And it was more of the same to open things Wednesday, as Toronto built a 3-1 lead at the break. The Dynamo defense was nowhere to be found.
Dynamo goalkeeper Tally Hall told MLSSoccer.com: “I’m going to say we were probably playing some of the worst soccer I’ve ever seen. We were uncharacteristically losing battles that we’ve won all year. At halftime, [Kinnear] told us, ‘Don’t look at the scoreboard, go out there be men, be better. Tackle and do things that are characteristically us and the scoreboard will take care of itself.’ ”
Will Bruin’s goals in the 73rd and 90th minutes made things exciting for the home fans, at least. Highlights are here:
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 0
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 0
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (27)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public