Jun 21, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
It was fun while it lasted.
Juventus pulled out of its July 28 match with D.C. United and is reportedly canceling its participation in the Herbalife World Football Challenge as well. The club was scheduled to play Paris Saint-Germain in Montreal and Real Madrid in Las Vegas.
The Italian club recently announced it would be heading to China for a Supercoppa Italiana game against Napoli in the second week of August, and manager Antonio Conte (pictured above thinks it will be too much travel. Flying charters is so difficult.
United is taking the news in stride, saying they “already in discussions with another, major European team to fill that date and will share opponent and ticketing details as a deal is finalized.” Even if that doesn’t happen, fans of the beautiful game can still get their fill of high-level clashes on the 28th: Liverpool takes on Tottenham Hotspur in Baltimore that afternoon.
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 0
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 1
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 4
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0