Jun 21, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT
Central defense was a worry for the Germans as they landed at Euro 2012. The concern was mostly about Per Mertesacker, the highly experienced 27-year-old who missed three months of Arsenal’s season after a February ankle injury.
He was slow to recover afterward, which left the German central defense in the hands of Bayern Munich’s Holger Badstuber, 22, and Borussia Dortmund’s Mats Hummels, 23, neither of whom had could match Mertesacker’s international chops at center back. (The Arsenal man has 81 caps for Germany, twice the number for the other two combined.)
Badstuber has been fine so far at Euro 2012, but Hummels has been an absolute revelation, surely justifying Joachim Low’s choice to hold Mertesacker in reserve.
Some might even say Hummels (pictured above, on the left), the co-backbone of Borussia Dortmund’s Bundesliga champion defense, has been the top tournament’s top player so far. I find that a compelling argument, especially after marveling at the young center backs’s standout performance right away in Germany 1-0 win over Portugal.
According to The Guardian’s combined ratings (as submitted by readers), Hummels has, in fact, been best of the Euro beasts so far. The top five players according to Guardian readers:
- Mats Hummels (Germany) 7.93 average reader rating
- Andrés Iniesta (Spain) 7.67
- Daniel Agger (Denmark) 7.50
- Manuel Neuer (Germany) 7.47
- T – Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden) 7.40
- T – Mario Mandzukic (Croatia) 7.40
ProSoccerTalk is doing its best to keep you up to date on what’s going on in Poland and Ukraine. Check out the site’s Euro 2012 page and look at the site’s previews, predictions, and coverage of all the events defining UEFA’s championship.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs