Jun 22, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
Before there was Daily Show and Seinfeld, before SNL and before the Friends were friends, even before the Three’s Company gang had all their hilarious misunderstandings (ahem), there was Monty Python’s Flying Circus to carry the comedy flag.
The group helped shape comedy the way the Beatles’ helped shape music, at roughly the same period in history.
Anyway, you can read about Monty Python at your leisure. Point is, one of the famous Monty Python bits, one of which soccer fans are especially fond, was the Philosophers’ Football Match.
It was famous Greek and German philosophers (Archimedes, Socrates, Hegel, Nietzsche, Marx … the usual suspects) thinking their way through a big match. Confucius, Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine officiated. Who else?
Highlight: Franz Beckenbauer, a “surprise inclusion” for the Germans, looking confused throughout. (He was the only real player.) And Nietzsche getting booked for “claiming that Confucius has no free will.”
Finally, watch for the Man of the Match moment from Archimedes at the end.
Get geeked for Germany-Greece by watching classic Germany-Greece:
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games