Jun 22, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
Things can change fast during a major international tournament. For instance:
Yesterday I wrote that Mats Hummels was making a bid to be player of the tournament at Euro 2012. I know lots of soccer fans grow anguished expressions at suggestions of center backs as “player of tournament” material, but it’s not such a rare occurrence.
Anyone remember Fabio Cannavaro and his defensive dominance at World Cup 2006, an absolute master class of defensive positioning, timing, technique and composure? Going further back, Germany’s Franz Beckenbauer and England’s Bobby Moore made significant impact at World Cups.
Still, I get it: center backs aren’t so sexy. Not as much as, say, a certain handsome Portuguese do-all winger.
Cristiano Ronaldo may yet make this his tournament. And he may even add a new layer of context to the fluid Messi-vs.-Ronaldo debate, the one that keeps asking us to re-consider our thoughts on the world’s top player.
Ronaldo was dominant Sunday against Netherlands as he guided the Portuguese safely out of group play. The pride of Real Madrid was at it again Thursday, heaping misery all over the Czech Republic, which could only sit back in defensive stacks and hope to contain the damage.
This writer sure seems to be making the case that Ronaldo is emerging as man of the Euro moment. It’s still early, and things can and do change. But if Ronaldo and those electric feet of his can do enough next week to blow by Spain or France and into the finals …
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public