Jun 22, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT
You always had the feeling that Chicago Fire attacker Marco Pappa was more like the college girlfriend than the “always and forever.”
That is, you enjoyed your time together, but it always seemed to have a termination date, and you knew one day they would graduate, then move on to bigger and better things.
As for Pappa, if you didn’t know, now you know. Because here’s what the Guatemalan international told MLSsoccer.com on Thursday:
I really want to step forward in my career and try to go to Europe. I don’t say that I don’t like it here, I love it. I love Chicago. The city has given me a lot as a soccer player and personally. This is the city that I love, but I need to think of my future. A soccer career is so short, so you need to do your best always.”
Here’s the thing:
If Pappa, 24, really wants the Euro treatment, he’s got the skill to make it happen, no doubt. But Europe’s a big place. If he wants to land at a big club, or wants to swim with the bigger fish of a higher quality league, he’ll have to pick things up a little.
He’s not having a bad season at Toyota Park, not at all. And that swell free kick goal against the United States last week, the strike that helped his team split the points in a World Cup qualifier, was one for the CV as well.) But three goals and three assists through almost half the season? Again, not bad.
When Pappa is good, he is zooming. He has game-changing stuff, for sure. His issue has always been consistency; Pappa still suffers long spells of “average.”
The young lefty already has don’t enough to place himself on the European watch lists. Whether it’s a smaller club in a smaller league, smaller club in a more fashionable league or top-shelf club in a top-shelf league, there’s still some sorting out to do.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public