Jun 23, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Personally, I don’t believe in spells, hobgoblins, witches or things that go bump in the night.
Nor do I put much stock into omens, not of the dark variety or even the more benign set.
But I know a lot of people do, so let’s talk about a particularly ironic birthday: France’s Zinedine Zidane turns 40 today – on the day his country happens to play in a European Championship quarterfinal. Said quarterfinal is against Spain.
So I supposed I’d have to confess that it is interesting that Zizou has such a personal history of inflicting harm and heartbreak onto the Spanish.
He was personally brilliant as France eliminated Spain from the Euro 2000 quarterfinals.
Six years later, having emerged heroically from international retirement, his goal helped an allegedly aged and fallen French side knock out the Spanish in extra time. France came withing a whisper of winning the World Cup, but Zidane himself played the villain role as things fell apart in about the oddest way possible.
(FYI, that 2006 World Cup happened to be the last major championship Spain did not win; so how about them French apples?)
So, I still don’t believe in forces unseen. Of course, it’s not me that matters. It’s the players on the field. If they buy into this mess – well, I do believe in the mind’s ability to shape things through self-fulfilling prophesy and the like.
At the very least, it is interesting happenstance worth mentioning, I suppose.
So there, I have.
(Enjoy highlights of his masterful performance against Spain in 2000, including a free kick goal:)
ProSoccerTalk is doing its best to keep you up to date on what’s going on in Poland and Ukraine. Check out the site’s Euro 2012 page and look at the site’s previews, predictions, and coverage of all the events defining UEFA’s championship.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (12)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team