Jun 25, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
Ashley Gray works the European football content world out of Latvia. You see his work in the UK’s MailOnline. So, presumably, he knows the movers and shakers of Eastern European soccer – some of them, at least. Safe to say, he knows more of them than most of us in the States.
So perhaps he knows something we don’t. Because he says this morning via Twitter that Ukrainian striker Andriy Shevchenko is heading to D.C. United.
We told you last week why rumors of “Sheva’s” move to the States shouldn’t be dismissed as another self-serving, agent-planted tale.
Here’s the thing: last week D.C. United officials told us they wanted to keep midfielder Branko Boskovic. Assuming they can, they are all full up on DPs (three max under league guidelines). Perhaps the caveat here is that they hope to keep Boskovic on a lesser salary, one that drops him below DP designation. Even in that case, officials around RFK would have to find the salary cap room – which seems like a quite a stretch at this point.
(Update and clarification: From what I understand now, the vagaries of the Designated Player rule may be such that De Rosario’s deal doesn’t actually constitute a DP designation. Therefore, Shevchenko — or anyone, for that matter — could be added at a DP salary, which he would almost certainly fetch. Again, the money must be found under the salary cap, so nothing changes there.)
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s