Jun 25, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer:
Soccer birthdays: Jamie Redknapp may be only the second most famous Redknapp in footy-loving England. But never mind that. The Sky Sports commentator and columnist for the Daily Mail (who did, after all, have 17 England caps) turns 39 today.
Ahead on the blog today*: Tending to some “best of” elements from three great weeks of European Championship soccer so far, plus our “Monday Meh” list – a dossier of the slightly overrated in soccer.
Big Important Story of the Day: Anything look familiar with England’s loss yesterday? Like, maybe you’ve seen it before? At the World Cups in 1990, 1998 and 2006? And at the European Championships in 1996 and 2004. All were penalty kick shootout eliminations for the Three Lions.
What we should all watch on TV:
Never mind today; Just get your schedule sorted out for this week: two dandy Euro 2012 semifinals are on deck for Wednesday and Thursday.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Glenn Myernick (R.I.P.)
Twitter daps: NBC analyst Kyle Martino (@kylemartino): Breaking news: something about stripping and Joey Barton. No surprises there.
Red Bulls midfielder Dax McCarty (@DaxMcCarty11) on the team’s win Sunday over D.C. United: YEAAAA BUDDY! That one felt a little better than usual. To the fans, unbelievable. Every game from now on please. Brandon Barklage = legend!
PST background noise while blogging today: KXT out of Dallas; I need some music to sooth the hurt of a three-week, whirlwind relationship that’s approaching its termination point. I can already feel it slipping away. I miss you already, Euro 2012! I miss you already.
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 1
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 3
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team