Jun 25, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
This is one of the toughest MLS Player of the Week choices we remember. It’s going to be the same for selecting the ProSoccerTalk Team of the Week – but I’ll start worrying about that one after my afternoon cappuccino. First things first.
Round 16 was busy and plum full of big performances, the kind that deserve PoW consideration. Will Bruin had a great week for Houston with three goals, but his team lost one and tied one, so that’s not going to happen.
Danny Koevermans could make a case with three goals; but his team’s shaky defense weakens the argument, since Toronto failed to win either of its matches.
Montreal got strong performances during a win and a loss from Davy Arnaud and Felipe Martins. Chris Wondolowski just keeps scoring for San Jose, and teammate Alan Gordon keeps making things happen late.
Heath Pearce played two strong matches at center back for his Red Bulls, who drew in Vancouver and gathered up all three points vs. D.C. United. Chicago’s Sean Johnson and Toronto’s Milos Kocic were among the good hands brigade who were strong in the net.
But what about Landon Donovan (pictured, about to swerve around RSL’s Nick Rimando for the Galaxy’s first goal in last week’s 3-2 win)? He was brilliant in the Galaxy’s surprise night at Real Salt Lake, putting that signature speed to work with two nice goals while arranging another one – and do not underestimate the actual value nor the less tangible confidence boost of a win in Utah. He followed up with another strong performance in the Galaxy’s dominant weekend win over Vancouver.
So, with three goals and two assists in a week that has thrust his Galaxy back into the playoff conversation, Donovan is the PST Player of the Week.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public