Jun 26, 2012, 11:47 AM EDT
Good that Germany coach Joachim Low isn’t mincing words where Bastian Schweinsteiger is concerned. Die Mannschaft’s midfielder was pretty awful in Saturday’s win over Greece. But Low says Schweinsteiger is fully fit, and promises less awfulness for Thursday’s Euro 2012 semi-final against Italy.
Schweinsteiger had problems, but it’s not as if these were hindering him. Against Greece he was poor, but he realizes that himself. Against Italy that won’t happen. There are only 100% fit players. No player will run out if he is only operating at 80 or 90% capacity. All players are fit, I assume Schweinsteiger will play.”
And what does the German boss say about Andrea Pirlo, and how they will deal with Italy’s primary midfield conduit? He says there will be no man marking.
That would make no sense. The Italians have a very different team from 2010 and excellent progress behind them. They have good strengths, a lot of quality. But we also know where their weaknesses lie, where they have their problems. We have to bring our own game, not focus so much on the opponents. If we manage to do that, then we have a good chance.”
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public