Jun 26, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Some dudes get all the athletic luck.
To hear Steve Nash talk about it, he’s an NBA superstar by accident.
Soccer was his game growing up. But in the eighth grade he wanted to hang with his pals, who happened to be hangin’ on the basketball court rather than the soccer field.
So, what the heck, he became an NBA millionaire. You know …soccer … basketball. Details, details.
Thing is, I believe that Nash could’ve been a soccer showman. Maybe not Thierry Henry or even Jermain Defoe. But, I dunno, he could have been Darren Anderton or Jamie Redknapp. Yeah, I could see that.
I’ve seen the man play, and even kicked shins with him (or against him) a time or two. He can ball – in two sports!
Anyway, Nash does a lot for the better good. His Steve Nash Foundation puts on an annual match for charity. And because it’s Steve Nash, some of the game’s real wow-wow names pop by for a spot of daytime footy. Partial list of past drop-ins: Henry, Claudio Reyna, Tony Parker, Adrian Mutu, Grant Hill, Javier Zanetti, Ryan Babel, Salomon Kalou, Demba Ba, Edgar Davids, Patrick Vieira, Chris Bosh and Giuseppe Rossi.
It all goes down Wednesday at the Sara D. Roosevelt Park on the Lower East Side of New York City. It’s free, but get there early if you’re nearby … good spots along the fence go fast.
(Oh, one of you drop-by guys, do be a fellow, would you; set up my pal and radio show co-host Marc Stein. The man is dying to get a goal in this thing.)
Here’s Nash talking about his game on MSNBC’s Morning Joe.
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 0
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 6
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 8
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 4
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (15)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months