Jun 26, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Some dudes get all the athletic luck.
To hear Steve Nash talk about it, he’s an NBA superstar by accident.
Soccer was his game growing up. But in the eighth grade he wanted to hang with his pals, who happened to be hangin’ on the basketball court rather than the soccer field.
So, what the heck, he became an NBA millionaire. You know …soccer … basketball. Details, details.
Thing is, I believe that Nash could’ve been a soccer showman. Maybe not Thierry Henry or even Jermain Defoe. But, I dunno, he could have been Darren Anderton or Jamie Redknapp. Yeah, I could see that.
I’ve seen the man play, and even kicked shins with him (or against him) a time or two. He can ball – in two sports!
Anyway, Nash does a lot for the better good. His Steve Nash Foundation puts on an annual match for charity. And because it’s Steve Nash, some of the game’s real wow-wow names pop by for a spot of daytime footy. Partial list of past drop-ins: Henry, Claudio Reyna, Tony Parker, Adrian Mutu, Grant Hill, Javier Zanetti, Ryan Babel, Salomon Kalou, Demba Ba, Edgar Davids, Patrick Vieira, Chris Bosh and Giuseppe Rossi.
It all goes down Wednesday at the Sara D. Roosevelt Park on the Lower East Side of New York City. It’s free, but get there early if you’re nearby … good spots along the fence go fast.
(Oh, one of you drop-by guys, do be a fellow, would you; set up my pal and radio show co-host Marc Stein. The man is dying to get a goal in this thing.)
Here’s Nash talking about his game on MSNBC’s Morning Joe.
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 3
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester United 6
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 6
- Men in Blazers podcast: Chelsea’s John Terry joins Rog and Davo 0
- Swiss star Barnetta moves to MLS; Orlando City signs a pair of Europeans 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 1