Jun 27, 2012, 7:08 PM EDT
I know some people get all twisty-face and offended at the very thought of sponsored jerseys.
Personally, I don’t see the problem. I can’t see why anyone else would, either.
I know the first time a professional baseball team splashes a sponsor name across the front, all manner of fist-shaking indignation is bound to break loose in the name of unhinged tradition. Probably the same for NHL, NBA or NFL.
Well, I say “tradition-schmition.” Who cares? Especially when it comes to professional soccer in the United States, a sports element unblessed with gold laced TV contracts, the kind that pour profits the way a fraternity kegger pours lite beer on a Saturday night.
I know MLS isn’t for everyone, and fair enough. But I simply cannot imagine that anybody chooses not to attend an MLS match because they are offended by sponsors on jersey fronts.
Personally, I support almost anything that pays the bills (important in a league where most teams still don’t turn a profit) and keeps ticket prices tame for paying fans.
That’s why the news today of FC Dallas joining the jersey-sponsored set is important news. The club made the announcement this afternoon.
In this case, AdvoCare’s partnership also assists the club in making up revenue from losing Pizza Hut this year as name sponsor for its Frisco stadium.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 1
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public