Jun 27, 2012, 7:08 PM EDT
I know some people get all twisty-face and offended at the very thought of sponsored jerseys.
Personally, I don’t see the problem. I can’t see why anyone else would, either.
I know the first time a professional baseball team splashes a sponsor name across the front, all manner of fist-shaking indignation is bound to break loose in the name of unhinged tradition. Probably the same for NHL, NBA or NFL.
Well, I say “tradition-schmition.” Who cares? Especially when it comes to professional soccer in the United States, a sports element unblessed with gold laced TV contracts, the kind that pour profits the way a fraternity kegger pours lite beer on a Saturday night.
I know MLS isn’t for everyone, and fair enough. But I simply cannot imagine that anybody chooses not to attend an MLS match because they are offended by sponsors on jersey fronts.
Personally, I support almost anything that pays the bills (important in a league where most teams still don’t turn a profit) and keeps ticket prices tame for paying fans.
That’s why the news today of FC Dallas joining the jersey-sponsored set is important news. The club made the announcement this afternoon.
In this case, AdvoCare’s partnership also assists the club in making up revenue from losing Pizza Hut this year as name sponsor for its Frisco stadium.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 1
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 2
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?