Jun 28, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s getting to be that time of year when we start talking about the upcoming season in Europe. (Didn’t we just stop talking about the season in Europe? Well, yeah. It’s hard out there for a footballer who wants some rest.)
The good news is that with more and more Americans heading across the pond, we have an increasing amount to discuss. Today, we’ll tackle two guys on the tip of everyone’s tongue.
- Maurice Edu – Fox Soccer’s Ives Galarcep has a solid feature about the for-now Rangers midfielder. The upshot: The club has no money and while Edu won’t say if he’s on the move — he’s been linked to Turkish side Bursapor — it’s hard to see him (along with Carlos Bocanegra and Alejandro Bedoya) sticking around. Edu has just a year left on his contract and a transfer would make sense for the cash-strapped club. That said, he enjoyed his time: “Being able to play in Champions League, win trophies, win medals, win cups, win leagues. These are things that I have dreamt of doing, and I set as goals for myself when I came to this club.”
- Robbie Rogers – Greg Seltzer’s must-read MLSSoccer.com column, “Postcard from Europe,” features a man who’s spent the past few months training and rehabbing with the Los Angeles Galaxy. Rogers got hurt early in his Leeds career, but he sounds ready to help his club back into the EPL this coming season. “The manager is bringing me back,” said a content Rogers. “And [he's] expecting me to help push this team to the Prem.” Best of luck with that goal.
A few quick hits, courtesy of Seltzer at No Short Corners:
- Geoff Cameron to Stoke City looks solid.
- We’re going to be waiting some time before Michael Bradley‘s future is decided.
And finally, a bit on Stuart Holden from Franco Panizo
- “It felt so good to strap some cleats on and do a little bit of jogging, but still just plugging along,” said Holden. “It’s been going slowly but it’s been going well. I’ve just been making sure I don’t have another relapse like I did last time, so my eyes (are) on the prize and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and looking forward to getting back on the field.”
- Home teams take leads in first legs of Europa League semifinals 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Two way tussle for top spot – Week 35 0
- Premier League Scenarios: Title Chase, Race for Europe and Relegation 2
- Report: Mix Diskerud targeted by New York City FC 3
- Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar 0
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 8