Jun 29, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Branko Boskovic clearly hasn’t been everything D.C. United had hoped. But lately …
Anyone who has watched his last few outings for the Black and Red knows the man clearly has something to add. It’s still a tricky mix for a couple of reasons. Mostly because his role has been off the bench in June, but also because the perfect arrangement of Dwayne De Rosario and Boskovic has yet to be pinpointed.
So you could argue that a Designated Player should never be an “off the bench” kinda guy; I would not disagree, unless perhaps we’re speaking of the newer “young DP” designation.
But what if Boskovic weren’t consuming a DP spot? Doesn’t that significantly shift the calculus? Especially considering that the Montenegrin midfielder still has an opportunity to further sharpen his touch and fitness, which would potentially allow him to influence matches as a starter?
That’s where D.C. United is this morning with the announcement that Boskovic, 32, has signed a new deal. His current agreement was set to expire, so United could have lost their playmaker very quickly without the new arrangement.
Again, the critical element here is the non-DP designation. That means United has just one currently on the roster, Hamdi Salihi.
And for your next question: The money for Boskovic and De Rosario are still in the “significant” stratosphere, even if they aren’t technically “DPs.” So, no, I don’t expect another big summer signing at RFK– not without some serious roster-management creativity, at least.
May 22, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
The magic of the Cup lives on, as four PDL sides now face trips to MLS teams in the third-round. Is this the stuff dreams are made of?
May 22, 2013, 8:19 AM EDT
Pulis joins long list of EPL managers departing… is English soccer becoming more ruthless?
May 21, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
Wait a minute … didn’t MLS commissioner Don Garber say there “is no Plan B …” beyond the Queens location?
May 21, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
Well, phooey! Didn’t Dempsey just go through a summer of transfer instability?
May 21, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
This and that as the U.S. contingent preps to gather in Cleveland ahead of five matches over the next few weeks:
May 21, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
The updated ordering in ProSoccerTalk’s ranking of Major League Soccer teams following 12 rounds of play:
Officials from MLS, Yankees, Manchester City and NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg to speak tomorrow on expansion news
May 21, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
How very convenient that Manchester City just happens to be in the States for a brief two-game tour.
May 21, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
It’s really about two things, and not much else:
May 21, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
By forming NYC FC, City and the Yankees have created a ‘sister-club’ relationship – an innovative bond between a Premiership and MLS club.
May 21, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Early thoughts on the facility and the ripples of today’s big announcement on the 20th MLS franchise:
May 21, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
By swapping Dzeko for Cavani, City can hamstring Manchester United and Chelsea, as both are rumored to be seeking a world-class striker.
It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team.
May 21, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
The league’s 20th franchise will begin play in 2015:
May 21, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
During his Premiership tenure Toure has proven himself a leader, captaining both the Gunners and the Citizens, as well as Cote d’Ivoire.
May 21, 2013, 8:37 AM EDT
Has Daniel Levy already forgotten about what happened when he tried to pin Luka Modric down with this ‘no sale’ line of bull?
May 20, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
Expect this one to get worked out.
May 20, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
If Real Madrid’s going to shake things up, Higuaín could do worse than land at The Emirates.
May 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Four players were on the original list. None of them may end up at Stamford Bridge.
May 20, 2013, 8:13 PM EDT
Our sympathy continues to grow for a man in a bad spot.
May 20, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
MLS will not have arrived until it has a high-profile feces incident.
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 1
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Garcia's fried chicken jibe inappropriate, Tiger says
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team