Jun 29, 2012, 11:15 AM EST
Freelance journalist Jeremiah Oshan had an eventful sit-down with Seattle Sounders owner Adrian Hanauer, who sounds like a man displeased.
There’s some reason, too. Seattle is on a seven-game winless streak in MLS – although a big U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal win on Tuesday served as something of a relief valve. Still …
We are always looking to improve the team but I’d be lying if I said after this run of seven games that we’re not more willing to consider any and all options for getting it squared away than we were seven games ago. It’s just not acceptable on multiple fronts.”
Two pieces (the one linked, and on MLSSoccer.com) point out that:
- Hanauer (pictured late last year with Kasey Keller) and technical director Chris Henderson were recently in Argentina for Copa Libertadores matches. Oshan says they were specifically watching six players, some of whom would likely be DPs.
- That would mean a current DP would have to go; I think we all know which one that might be (Alvaro Fernandez).
- Hanauer says “We’re not going to panic and do anything stupid, but we are looking at all options.” Let’s hope he’s serious about that part, because the Sounders are hardly spiraling down the drain. Alterations at CenturyLink call for a chisel, not a sledgehammer. The real threat is unrealistic expectations at highest level. MLS is riveted to parity, so team fortunes are subject to the vagaries thereof. Management must always keep that in mind – otherwise things can really begin to go wrong.
- MLS Cup 2013 Starting Lineups: Wingert, Saborío in; Sporting unchanged 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 2
- Premier League Roundup: Upsets galore as Manchester United, Chelsea lose (video) 0
- Jose Mourinho: “We’re in trouble” after Chelsea’s defeat to Stoke 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (40)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)