Jun 29, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT
Freelance journalist Jeremiah Oshan had an eventful sit-down with Seattle Sounders owner Adrian Hanauer, who sounds like a man displeased.
There’s some reason, too. Seattle is on a seven-game winless streak in MLS – although a big U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal win on Tuesday served as something of a relief valve. Still …
We are always looking to improve the team but I’d be lying if I said after this run of seven games that we’re not more willing to consider any and all options for getting it squared away than we were seven games ago. It’s just not acceptable on multiple fronts.”
Two pieces (the one linked, and on MLSSoccer.com) point out that:
- Hanauer (pictured late last year with Kasey Keller) and technical director Chris Henderson were recently in Argentina for Copa Libertadores matches. Oshan says they were specifically watching six players, some of whom would likely be DPs.
- That would mean a current DP would have to go; I think we all know which one that might be (Alvaro Fernandez).
- Hanauer says “We’re not going to panic and do anything stupid, but we are looking at all options.” Let’s hope he’s serious about that part, because the Sounders are hardly spiraling down the drain. Alterations at CenturyLink call for a chisel, not a sledgehammer. The real threat is unrealistic expectations at highest level. MLS is riveted to parity, so team fortunes are subject to the vagaries thereof. Management must always keep that in mind – otherwise things can really begin to go wrong.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 1
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 2
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?