Jul 1, 2012, 12:53 AM EDT
They don’t call it the California Clasico for nothing.
The San Jose Earthquakes extend their lead at the summit of the Western Conference standings after a barn-burner of a game against the L.A. Galaxy.
This fixture has produced the dramatic goods lately. The two sides last met on May 23 in a match that featured five goals, a sending off, a penalty kick, and a game-clinching stoppage time goal courtesy of former Galaxy staple Alan Gordon.
Tonight’s match might well have topped that in terms of sheer spectacle.
Steven Lenhart struck first for the Earthquakes and marked the occassion with a few celebratory crossbar pull-ups. The tide turned in the Galaxy’s favor soon after. David Beckham and Landon Donovan both chipped in with goals. A Jason Hernandez own goal conceded between that sequence appeared to give the Galaxy a 3-1 lead heading into halftime. Victor Bernandez put an end to the Galaxy’s goal surge as the Honduran defender got a goal back in the 44th minute.
San Jose kept up the momentum and rallied with two unanswered goals in the second interval. Chris Wondolowski flicked home the decisive game-winner.
50,391 folks were on hand at at Stanford Stadium to take in the dramatic display. At least the match lived up to its nickname.
Highlights aplenty for you to enjoy:
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 6
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 8
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy