Great Britain coach Stuart Pearce explains Beckham decision

Jul 2, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT

Team GB Men's Football Squad Announcement Getty Images

I have a question about the headlines careening around the interwebs saying something along the lines of “Stuart Pearce says decision to exclude David Beckham was purely for football reasons.”

Because, what other possible motive would Pearce have for setting brush fires of outrage throughout Beckham-loving England? This is not a Rio Ferdinand-John Terry type thing, where a certain player’s selection might improve collective talent but be toxic for team chemistry. It’s exactly the opposite.

At any rate, the coach of Great Britain’s Olympic team today explained his rationale for leaving Beckham out of his squad. Essentially, Pearce said, his selections were based on form, not sentiment – which is exactly as it should be.

Form plays a big part and I don’t think there is a manager around who picks on sentiment. I have to be comfortable when I have made decisions based solely on football grounds alone, nothing else.”

Pearce told Sky News specifically: “I saw Beckham more than any other player. In the end I decided the other three over 23-year-old players gave me a bit more. … David doesn’t feel it was the right decision, and naturally he was disappointed. But so were all of those who were left out.”

Clearly, there was pressure on him to select Beckham, who wasn’t performing at his best when the Great Britain manager came to see him earlier this year.

1. greej1938l - Jul 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Beat free kicker in the world.Big Mistake

2. acieu - Jul 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Like GB has a chance at Olympic Gold. Give Beckham a chance to go out in glory especially with a team that has no medal chance anyway.

3. wyrm1 - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I cannot stand the circus Beckham is and has become (and how he is coddled by MLS). However, a huge part of London getting the Olympics was the hard work Beckham put in as part of the London Organizing Committee. I understand he might not have been the best choice, but London might not have the games without his work, the least they could do is let him play.

Does anyone think that Craig Bellamy, Ryan Giggs and Micah Richards are going to be THAT much better then what Beckham can bring?

4. hjworton46 - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:06 AM

‘Brush fires of outrage’. Hilarious.

5. 121martz - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM